The barn at Bayllol's Manor dates back to circa 1365 and stands beside Harwell high street. Listed Grade II*, it is a timber-framed structure supported by a brick base of coursed stone rubble.
Although two of the original six bays at the western end of the building have been lost, the surviving four bays are of special interest. These are of arch-braced base cruck construction, with two rows of wind braces supporting the purlins of the roof. The cross frames create an uninterrupted interior space 16 metres long, 4.5 metres high and 7.5 metres wide.
Oxley Conservation Ltd managed repairs to the building, which were undertaken by Ward & Co. The sagging cross frames were brought back into line and strengthened. These timely repairs prevented the building's collapse and will keep it standing for many years to come.
Bonwick HC's survey drawings show the bent and broken timbers of the barn's carcass before repair work started. The drawings show the cross frames before and after repair and re-alignment. These can be viewed in the image gallery on the right.