Wray Common Mill is a type of windmill known as the tower mill, the most advanced design of windmill to be built in Britain. Its structure is composed of two parts: a brick-built tower, containing the milling gear, surmounted by a timber cap to which the mill’s sails and fantail are attached. The structure became a listed building in 1951, and is currently graded II*. Most of the milling gear had been removed in the early 20th century to provide space for living accommodation, although evidence of the former arrangement of machinery can still be traced.
The aim of the current scheme of work is to restore the external appearance of the structure, including the provision of authentic replacement components. Following the submission of a comprehensive report and reconstruction designs by Bonwick MHC, the cap of the windmill was removed to ground level for extensive repair.
During 2005 a new oak and pine cap frame was constructed in the workshop, transported to the site and then lifted into place on top of the tower. The six-bladed fantail and the narrow walkway or 'gallery' around the cap have been replaced and look resplendent.
A set of four non-working replica sweeps, made from laminated timber beams, were designed to echo the last working set which can be seen in the photo at the top of the page. The span of the sweeps is 66 feet (20.12 m). The sweep frames, erected in December 2007, will not be fitted with shutters in order to minimise wind resistance and weight.
The mill and adjoining granary provide luxury living accommodation.